Tony's reawakening
phy
2006-03-29 06:08:11 UTC
This is what bothers me. Paulie drove Tony into full arrest. The Trauma
people came full speed ahead to save his life. When Tony came to there was
a flat line tone and his wife and daughter in in line of sight. Then his
heart started beating right. Where was the shock paddles and the doctors
and all the nurses around to yell "clear? I at least expected a couple big
orderlies to pull the civilians out of the way to let the professionals do
their jobs. This is where the suspension of reality broke for me. It is
still on of my favorite shows. Unless Deadwood hurries up and comes back
on the air though, I am not sure HBO is worth it for just one show.

-phy
Vegetable Lasagne
2006-03-29 06:34:17 UTC
Post by phy
This is what bothers me. Paulie drove Tony into full arrest. The Trauma
people came full speed ahead to save his life. When Tony came to there was
a flat line tone and his wife and daughter in in line of sight. Then his
heart started beating right. Where was the shock paddles and the doctors
and all the nurses around to yell "clear? I at least expected a couple big
orderlies to pull the civilians out of the way to let the professionals do
their jobs. This is where the suspension of reality broke for me. It is
still on of my favorite shows. Unless Deadwood hurries up and comes back
on the air though, I am not sure HBO is worth it for just one show.
-phy
???????????????????????????????????????????

Were you watching this episode in France?
Fatbastrd
2006-03-29 14:02:06 UTC
Post by Vegetable Lasagne
Post by phy
This is what bothers me. Paulie drove Tony into full arrest. The Trauma
people came full speed ahead to save his life. When Tony came to there was
a flat line tone and his wife and daughter in in line of sight. Then his
heart started beating right. Where was the shock paddles and the doctors
and all the nurses around to yell "clear? I at least expected a couple big
orderlies to pull the civilians out of the way to let the professionals do
their jobs. This is where the suspension of reality broke for me. It is
still on of my favorite shows. Unless Deadwood hurries up and comes back
on the air though, I am not sure HBO is worth it for just one show.
-phy
???????????????????????????????????????????
Were you watching this episode in France?
Rim shot!

Hey, Tony's a tough guy, it took a selfish asshole like Paulie to go in
there and really piss him off to get him out of his coma.

Perhaps he'll repay Paulie by having him whacked.
Otto Preminger's Goldfish
Wow. Good luck sorting that decision out.
TheNewsGuy(Mike)
2006-03-29 11:57:18 UTC
...When Tony came to there was
a flat line tone and his wife and daughter in in line of sight. Then his
heart started beating right. Where was the shock paddles and the doctors
and all the nurses around to yell "clear?
Nod off to sleep, did you?

Or were you watching the "edited" version?
--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma
jrob
2006-03-29 12:47:53 UTC
They shocked him not once but two times...BTW they called "clear" each
time. I find it amazing how a reality can be created in one's own mind,
and all subsequent thoughts, criticisms, and opinions stemming from
that reality are without credibility because the original perception
holds no truth at all.
Don't worry though, you're not the only one who's guilty of this
behavior. We've been treated to a textbook example of this daily for
the past three years in regard to the way the the present
administration has run the war in Iraq.............................
i***@yahoo.com
2006-03-29 18:41:14 UTC
Do you need to be reminded that you're watching a television drama, not
a medical school training film?
Otto Preminger's Goldfish
2006-03-29 18:44:02 UTC
Do you need to be reminded that this is usenet, not the rand corporation?
AZ Nomad
2006-03-29 19:02:45 UTC
Post by Otto Preminger's Goldfish
Post by i***@yahoo.com
Do you need to be reminded that you're watching a television drama, not
a medical school training film?
Do you need to be reminded that this is usenet, not the rand corporation?
You really need to be reminded again that this is just a tv show.
At least they used monitors that looks somewhat realistic instead of
the buck rogers bullshit usually seen in the movies where no
computer can possibly be operated without it making card punch
noises, putting text up at 50 baud.
Otto Preminger's Goldfish
You really need to be reminded to unplug the toaster.
AZ Nomad
2006-03-29 19:39:25 UTC
Post by i***@yahoo.com
Do you need to be reminded that you're watching a television drama, not
a medical school training film?
Do you need to be reminded that this is usenet, not the rand corporation?
You really need to be reminded again that this is just a tv show.
You really need to be reminded to unplug the toaster.
OK. I get it now. You're just another fucking troll.
<plonk>
Otto Preminger's Goldfish
It boggles the mind.
Vegetable Lasagne
What brand name were they?
Sparky Spartacus
Definitely no need for *that* reminder.
phy
2006-03-29 20:06:08 UTC
Post by i***@yahoo.com
Do you need to be reminded that you're watching a television drama, not
a medical school training film?
No shit Serlock. One thing I like about this show is the realism. These
people and events could happen in real life. The writers try hard to make
it so. So when he was surrounded by the trauma team working to keep him
alive and his heart starts beating again and he wakes up the only people in
the room are his wife and daughter. It was like WTF?!

Do you need to be reminded that your posting to a Usenet forum where the
convention is to include the relevant parts of the text you are replying
to, not an AOL chat pit?

-phy
jrob
2006-03-29 23:44:45 UTC
Post by phy
Where was the shock paddles and the doctors
and all the nurses around to yell "clear?

...which led people to believe you must have been watching a different
version than the one we all saw...............
phy
2006-03-30 04:02:52 UTC
Post by phy
Post by phy
Where was the shock paddles and the doctors
and all the nurses around to yell "clear?
...which led people to believe you must have been watching a different
version than the one we all saw...............
Which led you to believe this. I thought I explained myself pretty damn
good for how many beers I had drank before posting that
observation/complaint.

-phy
ctakim
2006-03-30 04:31:27 UTC
It was not the most realistic code scenario. One of the docs asked them
to clear the family but they didn't. That is one of the first things
that would be done. Also, a code/cardioversion and successful
stabilization is not the first big step to recovery; instead it is
usually a harbinger of a rocky and unstable course over the next
several hours to days. It seemed that everyone was ready to celebrate
that Tony was going to get better because they found out he survived
the code. In most every case, a person is worse off after a code than
before, even if it was successful at "bringing them back".

Otherwise, though, the actual mechanics of the acute code seemed
reasonably accurate.
bstern
2006-03-30 10:02:02 UTC
Post by ctakim
It was not the most realistic code scenario. One of the docs asked them
to clear the family but they didn't. That is one of the first things
that would be done. Also, a code/cardioversion and successful
stabilization is not the first big step to recovery; instead it is
usually a harbinger of a rocky and unstable course over the next
several hours to days. It seemed that everyone was ready to celebrate
that Tony was going to get better because they found out he survived
the code. In most every case, a person is worse off after a code than
before, even if it was successful at "bringing them back".
Otherwise, though, the actual mechanics of the acute code seemed
reasonably accurate.
Actually, it is becoming more common for families to be allowed to stay
during a code if they are not in the way. It is believed that family
members should see what exactly a "code" is, especially those who want
"everything done" for a family member that should be allowed to go in peace.
ctakim
2006-03-30 14:13:07 UTC
Yikes, I don't want them there if I'm breaking ribs doing CPR.
Seriously, it can look pretty violent and I'm not sure how many family
members would understand and look beyond that. I am a big fan of DNR
in terminal disease situations, though.
Sparky Spartacus
2006-03-30 16:56:04 UTC
Post by ctakim
It was not the most realistic code scenario. One of the docs asked them
to clear the family but they didn't. That is one of the first things
that would be done. Also, a code/cardioversion and successful
stabilization is not the first big step to recovery; instead it is
usually a harbinger of a rocky and unstable course over the next
several hours to days. It seemed that everyone was ready to celebrate
that Tony was going to get better because they found out he survived
the code. In most every case, a person is worse off after a code than
before, even if it was successful at "bringing them back".
Otherwise, though, the actual mechanics of the acute code seemed
reasonably accurate.
Just saw a tidbit of info comparing TV, where 2/3 of resuscitation
attempts succeed, with real life, where 15% succeed. I think I'd rather
have a coronary on TV.