Riley Jane
Not-So-Big Al
2011-04-20 13:39:10 UTC
I wanted to let all the folks here know I received some sad news
regarding our friend Jane. I've been respecting her privacy but, at this
point, it hardly seems to matter.

It had seemed some time ago that she had a stroke and thus her absence
from ATS. I received one email from her after that in which she said
using the computer was just too difficult for her. One of her sons has
been good enough to keep me up to date. It would now appear that she has
Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. Here's a little bit about it, courtesy of
Wikipedia:

Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease or CJD (pronounced /ˈkrɔɪtsfɛlt ˈjɑːkoʊb/,[1]
"KROITS-felt YA-kob") is a degenerative neurological disorder (brain
disease) that is incurable and invariably fatal.[2] The disease is at
times called a human form of Mad Cow disease given the fact that Bovine
spongiform encephalopathy is the cause of variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob
disease in humans.[3]

It is the most common among the types of transmissible spongiform
encephalopathy found in humans.[4] This means that the brain develops
holes and takes on a sponge-like texture. This is caused by a type of
infectious protein called a prion. Prions are misfolded proteins which
replicate by converting their properly folded counterparts. It is
usually transmitted by eating contaminated beef. The disease is always
fatal. There is no cure, and all treatments are experimental.

It would appear the best we can do is hope and pray she's not aware, not
in pain and that her passing is merciful.

I would just like to testify that, despite the attitudes and smart-ass
comments I've made in this group, Jane has been a good friend to me over
time, is a wonderful human being, a good mother and it is my honor to
know her.

I ask you all that, if you are a believer, to pray for her; if you are a
non-believer, if you could send any kind of good-vibes or what ever your
belief system guides you to do.

I'll keep the group informed from here out.

God bless Riley Jane.
James Goforth
2011-04-21 01:53:01 UTC
Thank you, Al, for the information. The wikipedia description of that
disease sounds terrifying. I have missed Jane's posts but never
expected to hear anything like that. I am so sorry for her & her family
for having to go through this.
Dick Hurtz
2011-04-24 03:42:24 UTC
I've been wondering where our veteran ATSers have been, now I read this sad
news.

God bless RJ, a classy lady who's been an asset to this group over the last
decade.
John Doherty
2011-04-26 15:57:13 UTC
So sad to hear this news. I wouldn't wish this one on anyone, much
less Jane.

I hear it's possible to get it from venison in the US, and also from
having had beef in the UK a few years back when they had their
outbreak.

All things must pass, and all of us must (someday) pass away. I wish
Jane very little pain in the process.